Thinking of moving to Hertford? Find out more about Hertford with our quick guide to the local area.
If you are moving home in the Hertford area, we can help you plan your move as we are a professional removal company with excellent knowledge of residential and commercial areas of Hertfordshire.
Even if you only have a small number of possessions, or only need to move a few items of furniture, please ask for a quote for our fully insured ‘Man and Van’ service in Hertfordshire.
Shopping in Hertford
The old market town of Hertford has many small shops – some independent, some high street chains – which are concentrated in the town centre. The town also has more than its fair share of coffee shops, cafés and restaurants, so there’s always somewhere to take a break for elevenses or lunch!
Local schools in Hertford
A list of all the Hertford schools with Ofsted ratings is published on the gov.uk website.
Public and local transport in and around Hertford
- Roads – the main roads in Hertford are the A414 which crosses Hertfordshire east to west, and the A10 with easy links to London to the south and Cambridge to the north.
- Parking – click here for a list of Hertford car parks with charges and details of how to pay by phone.
- Trains – Hertford is served by two railway stations: Hertford North which has trains running into London King’s Cross or Moorgate to the south and Stevenage in the north; and Hertford East which terminates at London Liverpool Street. Unsurprisingly, the rail links mean Hertford is a popular location for commuters.
- Buses – Hertford’s buses are run by Intalink.
- Airport – London Stansted is just over half an hour’s drive away (in good traffic); and London Luton is 35 minutes.
Things to do in Hertford
- Theatre, comedy and film – Hertford Theatre puts on a huge variety of shows and films, and there is usually a local art exhibition to see in the foyer and café areas.
- Gigs – the Corn Exchange in Hertford has live gigs, tribute acts, dance music and comedy.
- Bars and restaurants – the huge number of bars and restaurants attracts people from the surrounding towns, making it a lively place to be on most nights of the week.
- Museum – find out more about the history of Hertfordshire’s county town at the Hertford Museum.
- A walk in the park – Hertford is well catered for in terms of greenery, with Hartham Common in the town itself providing lots of space to enjoy and play sports in, and Panshanger Park which provides a wildlife haven and is a great place to walk the dog.
Health in Hertford
Hospitals – Hertford County Hospital is a daycare centre for outpatients and therapeutic services. The nearest A&E is at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
GP surgeries – the NHS Choices website publishes a list of GP surgeries and dentists in the town.
Local government for Hertford
The East Herts District Council website has all the information you need about living in Hertford, including Council Tax, bin collections etc.
Hertford local paper
The local newspaper is the Hertfordshire Mercury which is published weekly on a Thursday.
Hertford estate agents
There are a number of estate agents in Hertford which deal in residential sales and lettings, e.g.: